Recent Articles: FREE ACCESS
The following “fitness safety” columns, authored or co-authored by Dr. JoAnn Eickhoff-Shemek (Dr. JES), were published in ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal since January 2020. To obtain “free” access, click on the title of the article.
Virtual Fitness Programs: Safety and Legal Liability Issues to Consider: Part 1 (January/February 2022)
HIIT for Clinical Populations: Safety and Legal Liability Issues for Community Fitness Facilities (September/October 2021)
Safety Lessons Learned from the Jimenez Treadmill Case (May/June 2021)
Creating a Safety Culture in Your Fitness Facility: Part 1 (May/June 2020)
Creating A Safety Culture In Your Fitness Facility: Part 2 (January/February 2021)
Top Five Reasons to Make Fitness Safety Priority No. 1 (January/February 2020)
The following “fitness safety” columns will be “free” access 1 year after the publication date.
FITT Safety: Focusing on Intensity and Type (September/October 2023)
Additional Educational Resources -- All are FREE
1. Featured Articles and Legal Columns (n=33) that Dr. JES authored (or co-authored) covering a variety of legal/risk management topics in
ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal between 1997 and 2017 can found in full text at: Search Results : ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal (lww.com)
2. Legal Columns (n=20) authored by Dr. Anthony Abbott covering a variety of legal/risk management topics in ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal between
2011 and 2019 can found in full text at: Search Results : ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal (lww.com)
3. Fitness Law Academy Newsletter: “Free” quarterly newsletter – subscribe on the Newsletter page.
4. Interested in Sport Law? Subscribe to a "free" newsletter (Sports Facilities and the Law) at: https://sportsfacilitieslaw.com
5. Articles on a variety of legal and risk management topics for fitness managers and exercise professionals also available at: